Wednesday 18 November 2009

Wrong Diagnosis

Well, here it is Wednesday and my foot is still swollen and painful. I sent Mom some pictures and a description of what happened and how my foot was feeling and where. She works with an orthopedic surgeon so he looked at the pictures and checked out my little note and decided that it wasn't Morton's Neuroma, it was a stress fracture. Yes, he is 3,000 miles away and pictures aren't as helpful as seeing it in person but at the same time I think he probably took more time to look my letter and pictures over than the doctor here did looking at my foot! So I called the A & E (accident and emergency dept) of the hospital I went to on Monday. I told them that I had been there and diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma. I then told them that my orthopedic surgeon concluded that I didn't have Morton's Neuroma and that it was a stress fracture and that I needed a moon boot, which would take pressure off of the front of my foot and put it on my heel. Apparently here it is called a wedge boot. Anywho, I was told that I have to come back to the A & E and register again and wait again and then see a doctor again and that I can explain the circumstances to him/her. So after my tutorial at 3:30 I will be grabbing another cab and heading back to John Radcliffe Hospital and hopefully heading home with a moon boot. :sigh: I really hope that this is not the shining example of socialized healthcare, because to be honest I was quite optimistic about the whole thing. We'll see how tonight's visit goes and then I will make my decision as to whether or not I find it efficient and practical. I'll post again soon! :)

Quote:
"I think; therefore I am." ~Rene Descartes

No comments:

Post a Comment